Monday, January 26, 2009

Overcome with toxic fumes.

You know those friendships that you really cherish and really want to keep but end up being toxic? The ones that change you into a blubbering kid hiding under the desk instead of your usual confident self. The ones that suck the ever loving life out of you yet you keep bouncing back for more. I find that I have rid myself of almost all those types of relationships in my life but there are a few I just can't seem to dissolve. I have worked extremely hard at building my self up the past few years. Being positive and beginning to love myself for exactly who I am, warts and all. Then one little thing happens and it sends me off into the corner again. It is totally exhausting. My hope is that as I was changing and maturing these people were too and when we meet again things will be different. That the whole make up of our relationship will be more balanced and genuine. That one person doesn't feel and exhibit superiority over the other. The bigger more important question though is why I keep giving the benefit of the doubt to people who are willing to throw me into a cage with a lion and look the other way.

1 comment:

Abbi said...

i've had the same problem with a friend too! it can be sooo tiring! i would feel like i would do everything to build this person up for her to only kick me in the face!....until one day i really prayed about the situation and God allowed me to just let the friendship to almost desolve! we still speak when we see each other but never go out of my way to do anything for this person anymore. i had become a door matt! you will/are too! just pray about it and God will lead you in the right direction and he'll give you peace about it! good luck!