Friday, January 30, 2009

The ruthless cycle of life.

I don't want to write this post. I have procrastinated writing it for a few days but it is all I can think about so therefore I must get it out. My dear dear friend that I have known for over 20 years is sitting at the hospital watching her dad deteriorate ...his organs are shutting down and he is probably not going to make it through the weekend. I hate that this is happening. He is a great person who spent his life making other people happy. Watching her go through this is painful not only because losing him is a loss for the world but because it makes it so real that in the near years to come all my friends will have to deal with this in their own lives. That I will have to see it happen to my parents. The circle of life is unstoppable and doesn't discriminate. As we ourselves grow older and see gray hair and wrinkles pop up our parents also age and we take over that roll of caregiver. As our children grow and change into adults themselves we too will move on to a new stage. All this is terrifying to think about but necessary since it is inevitable.
I hope for comfort for my friend and her family in this situation. It is hard to remember that through the pain the happy memories will eventually break through and instead of making us cry they will make us smile.

No comments: