Monday, January 5, 2009

Accomplishments are all relative.

Today when I was in the car with Amelia she started whistling and I told her how great it was she could do that. She told me that she can whistle AND zip in the most proud voice ever. She then went on to tell me she can cut paper, pour water and write a good "A" in her name. I started thinking about how accomplishments change as you get older. She was happy with those things that seem so silly to me now but I am sure to her those are huge! I remember when I was in high school driving a car and having a date on Friday night were huge accomplishments. Then getting into a good college and figuring out how to pay for it for four years. After college finding a job and a house and someone to share those things with were up there on the list of things to accomplish. Next came babies and mini vans. Mid-life is bringing about new accomplishments. Setting up retirement funds and raising well mannered intelligent children. Limiting junk food to lower cholesterol. Exercising and eating right more for you heart then your thighs. I am coming to the conclusion that the need to accomplish things in life is partly an innate trait and partly learned. When babies start to smile eveyone ohhhs and ahhs, when they crawl everyone claps, when they learn to walk everyone cheers. The need to please defiantly fuels the need to accomplish things in life. Whether it is to please others or only yourself.

1 comment:

For Kicks and Giggles said...

Maybe you need to write a book, you write very well and tell it perfectly! I did my heart workout today...my thighs never thought they would hear me saying that!