Wednesday, December 31, 2008

A year of learning.

Instead of talking about resolutions for the new year I am going to look back at last year and talk about what I learned about myself.
First of all I learned that I can remain calm and cool in a scary situation. When Amelia got knocked in the head with a shovel and there was blood everywhere I was able to (along with my sister) get her to the Doctor. Even when she started falling asleep in the car on the way and throwing up in the waiting room I held it together and got through the chaos to the other side which included her getting stitches and a milkshake from McDonald's :)
I also learned that I can be strong and positive when life hands out unfair and unjustified things. Chris got laid off..out of the blue mostly because I think they wanted to hire someone with less experience that they could pay less. Regardless of why it happened , we rallied together and made it through the tough situation of bruised egos and we made it to the other side. He now has a job he likes much better and is actually starting to feel secure again. I on the other hand learned something else about myself when he got this new job. I learned that him working at home is taking a while to get used to and might force me to find a job.
Another important thing I have discovered is I can actually rely on my friends for support. People actually do care about me and are there for me no matter what. They don't judge me on how clean my house is or what I feed my kids for dinner.
Over the past 4.5 years I have had one friend that I have talked to daily through emails and instant messages. I had never met her and had only spoken to her once on the phone until a few months ago. I always called her my modern day penpal but everyone else called her my cyber friend. I had always considered her a true friend but when we met it made things concrete and I love her even more.
Over the next year I hope I can keep finding out more things about myself. I am hoping I can push myself to discover new things and evolve into a better person then even I thought I could be.

No comments: