Friday, December 26, 2008

The invasion.

When the phone rang at 9:30 this morning I knew exactly who it would be on the other end. My mother in law calling to say they were running late ...blah blah blah. I mean really I am able to get myself and 3 kids ready , have my house clean and brunch in the oven yet they can't get here by 10????? Obviously a passive aggressive way to control the situation. Anyway they got here around 10:30 and immediately started oohhing and ahhing about how HUGE the muffins were on the counter...how one muffin could feed a whole family...blah blah blah. Then on to the fact that I was using plastic (throw away plastic). I am sorry that I do not want to use antique china and serve a 5 course meal...and spend time hand washing the china (which they do every single flipping time). NOPE I would rather throw it in the trashcan and spend time doing fun stuff. On to the gifts. The girls adored every single thing they got. There were screams of joy. Before you think my mother in law did a good job shopping and actually knew what my kids like stop and rethink. She asked me to do the shopping for her and wrote me a check. How could she know my girls when she sees them only 4 or 5 times a year?? Oh and they only live about 15 minutes away. Now for Chris and my gifts. Which I need to first of all say I told them no gifts were necessary at all and I meant it. I got a glass Williamsburg Gingerbread house...LIMITED EDITION I was told as I opened it. It is a nice Christmas decoration. It was very expensive I am sure which isn't exactly ideal for a glass house inside my chaotic house. I also received a Longaberger bowl...again a nice gift but expensive and showy. As for the gifts we gave them...they were not to interested. As usual no emotion at all.
The best part was when the girls tried to get them to play Wii. I thought that was a nice gesture and I could just imagine what it might like to see them to loosen up a little. Nope they refused. They would rather discuss the history of the circus or computers. Could their recent obsession with the circus show some sort of connection to their inability to relate to children??
It all ended rather abruptly 4 hours after they arrived. Bye thanks! See you again for Easter.

3 comments:

David Wahl said...

I definitely think the circus thing is a weird, unemotional attempt to find common ground with the kids.

Of course, it would make more sense to pick something the kids ACTUALLY liked than something kids in the abstract like.

Anonymous said...

Did they really have you shop and then pay you back? Wow.

Beth said...

YEP. I picked out and bought every single gift from MIL. She just reinbursed me...sigh at least the kids got stuff they liked.