Tuesday, December 16, 2008

A Holly Jolly Contest!

I am in a warm and fuzzy mood for memories! I was thinking today of my favorite Holiday memories and thought maybe I would write about mine and ask you to write about yours...come on people I feel like I am talking to myself :) I am going to offer a very special prize for my favorite entry. I will send out a pair of stylish one of a kind squirrel underpants courtesy of my brother David to the winner.
I have a few great memories of Christmas since my girls have been around. The first one happened 5 years ago about a week before Christmas. It was dark and cold and I had just put Caroline and Olivia in bed for the night. Amelia wasn't around yet although she was in the oven. I walked into my room after tucking the girls in and I heard a jingle bell outside so I walked to the window and I noticed it had started to snow. As I got closer to the window I saw SANTA getting out of a sedan. I yelled for the girls and they ran to the window...just as they got there Santa looked right up at us in the window and waved and yelled ho ho ho Merry Christmas! It was one of the shiver up the spine moments that will forever be embedded in my mind. It really was the magic of Christmas in those two little girls eyes and I swear it made me totally fall in love with the holiday that year.
Another great memory was the year of the ice storm. A few days before Christmas we had a huge ice storms. I mean huge..power was knocked out, people were stranded and roads were impassible. Somehow we made it over to my parents house on Christmas day. No one could cook anything so we picked up Chinese food on the way over and we ate by candle light. We laughed and sang and told stories by the fire. We had a great time. It was true family time together without any outside interruptions. Sort of like an old fashioned family Christmas.
OK those are two of my recent faves..how about you? AND if you can't think of a Christmas memory no problem I am not picky ANY holiday memory will do....

5 comments:

David Wahl said...

Was it during the Chinese food that my holiday gift of the leg lamp arrived?

You guys telling that story to me is one of my favorite Christmas stories.

Actually sending dad crazy gifts is my favorite Christmas activity these days.

Anonymous said...

Mine is from Valentine's Day. I was pregnant with Gracie, Scott was recovering from back surgery, we had just put our dog to sleep. I was a MESS to say the least. Freaking out about everything. I came home for lunch Vdays day to Scott having had cooked me buttered noodles for lunch(he could barely get off the couch yet)and he had went and got chocolate covered strawberry IC. It was a moment of ahhhhh we will make it through. Maybe it was the food that made me think that? LOL Anyway I still remember that day and always will. And we did make it through!!!
Heidi

Anonymous said...

I remember my 28th birthday. Owen was about 4 motnhs old.... I had such a hard time when Owen was born and then having to go back to work. I was SURE this was going to be the best birthday ever. Jer gave me my present. I opened it up and it was a ...hot air popcorn popper. I ripped into the box sure that there were earrings or something great hidden in there. Alas, it was just a $9.99 popcorn popper.

Oh wait you wanted our best memory? I guest no squirrel underpants for me.

David Wahl said...

Most of my Christmas holidays are spent with an overcast of homesickness, but Nancy and I usually manage to have fun.

Our best Christmas Eve was years back. The weather was mild, so we decided to go for a walk in downtown Seattle. All the stores were closing, but the beautiful lights were still on and we were basically alone. It really felt like it was all for us.

We walked home, hand in hand, just looking in windows and marveling at what it was like to be alone in the middle of a huge city.

The, we went for Indian food at a good, empty, restaurant and told one another stories and made jokes until it was time to go home.

Beautiful city and time alone with the person you love the most is a great way to spend Christmas Eve.

For Kicks and Giggles said...

My wine habit has washed away all my holiday memories :)