Thursday, December 11, 2008

The story of the gingerbread playdough.

Amelia has been asking me since Thanksgiving to make gingerbread play dough with her. They made it at school and she just loves it. The teachers have told me she loves it, she has told me she loves it (over and over again). I get it: she loves it. You have to understand something about me. I don't do crafts. Sometimes I try but it just isn't my thing. In reality I had no intention of actually making the play dough. So this morning she asked me (again ) if we could make it today. We had a minute before I had to leave to take her to school so to appease her, I told we would take a look at the recipe and see what we ingredients we needed. I googled the recipe and found it without a problem. It was a simple recipe and we had all the things to make it but cream of tarter. Fine, nothing more was said and I dropped her off at school. Fast forward to 3 hours later. I walked up to the door to get her and had 2 different teachers say "I hear you are making gingerbread play dough today". I smiled thinking to myself NOT A CHANCE. Then Amelia's main teacher saw me and came up and gushed and cooed about the play dough and how much Amelia loves playing with it and how glad she was we were going to make it at home etc etc. I told her her that I needed to go to the store to get cream of tarter. She said OHHH we have plenty of that inside come on in and get some...I told her that I had to run to the store anyway (which was not really true) and she said "OH would you do me a huge favor? could you get me some peppermint extract while you are there?? next week we are making peppermint play dough." I could hardly say NO so obviously the joke was on me.
We went to the store. I got the cream of tarter AND the peppermint extract. We made the gosh darn play dough. It wasn't as bad as I thought it might be. I actually even played with it awhile.
I am bracing myself for next week when I am just sure she will want to make peppermint play dough.

No comments: