Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Must have Done Something Right.

From the minute each of my kids were born I started directly and indirectly trying to make them unselfish, giving individuals who put others before themselves. As young kids it is nearly impossible to get valid feedback on whether anything was sinking in or not. Kids are by nature selfish...don't want to share their toys or their snacks. I think I was on constant repeat with the word SHARE for years. I was pleasantly surprised over the last few weeks, on two separate occasions, when both Caroline and Olivia (10 and 8) came to me wanting to use their own money to buy their sister a birthday gift. They not only bought her gifts but where extremely excited to see her open the gifts. In the past I have prompted the kids to do this but this is the first time that they thought of doing this on their own. I had a moment of instant gratification ...all my years of trying to instill unselfishness had paid off. Moments like that totally make the other not so riveting moments, Amelia refusing to share her new birthday toys with her friends or Caroline not wanting to let her sister borrow her favorite pencil or Olivia hogging the favorite swing, more bearable. I certainly hope that as time goes on I will see evidence that other things I have tried to convey to the girls really are sinking in and making an impression.

2 comments:

Heather said...

I had to check the date on this post and make sure it wasn't an April Fool's joke. Thank goodness there is hope for siblings!

Tonya said...

great post. I know I think I am repeating things and nothing is sinking in too. My kids aren't as old yet so I think I will see things start to click in a year or two!!!