Tuesday, March 17, 2009

The iMac and the Mattress

When I was around 11 or 12 I went away with a friend for a week to her vacation house. When I returned refreshed and relaxed I discovered my parents had betrayed me. While I was gone they had taken my beloved mattress off my bed and replaced it with a new stiff one. Let me take a minute to describe my special mattress. It was soft and had a perfect mold of my body embedded in it. It was comforting and familiar to me and almost like a friend. When I realized what they had done I was beside myself with grief. I begged them to get my mattress and bring it back but of course they refused. I dragged my pillow and blankets off that spanking new mattress and slept on the floor for months. I don't remember what finally convinced me to actually sleep on the new mattress but I do know that when I eventually did it was never like the old one. Those of you that know me know that change does not come easily for me. All these matress memories came flooding back when A week or two ago my dear husband went out and bought an iMac. Our computer is a PC and it has all my stuff on it where I want it and I know it like the back of my hand. It crashes every other day and has been going downhill for months. I am protesting the iMac on several platforms. First of all it is not a PC and I have no clue how to work it. Second I feel like I am betraying my computer if I even cast a glance toward the new shiny iMac. I don't know how long it will take before I let my guard down and move on but for now I am sleeping on the floor with my back to the newest member of the family.

3 comments:

Amy - AKA - TigerMommie said...

I'm a mac person..........typing on my MacBook right now, in fact. I totally understand what you mean about not knowing where anything is and all of that.....However, I think that if you're willing to give Mac a chance, you'll come to enjoy it.......

But, I do know.....the replacements just aren't the same.......Hang in there! Enjoy the joys of a new computer!!!........

Tonya said...

Our PC crashed a little over a year ago and my husband was so excited to get a Mac. Personally I don't understand all the hype. I loved my PC and I'm learning that the Mac isn't really all that great. I mean yes it never gets viruses and you don't have to buy the virus protection things for it but none of our kids games can be played on it. And I can't do a lot of my scrapbooking stuff because the sites aren't compatible for Macs. So that is frustrating for me. But we really haven't had any operating issues. Just thought I'd tell you my experience thus far.

wavs said...

Well both can coexist. Mac's aqre better at somethings while the PC is better at others. We have two desktops and one laptop for the two of us. If you want I can look at your old PC to see if anything can be fixed if you keep it.