Wednesday, March 11, 2009

The Moral Compass.

When I think about myself and how I travel through life I know that I have a really strong pull towards the so called right thing. I know sometimes morality is tied to religion but I am talking about the part of morality that is not based on religion. Even as a kid I remember telling on myself for doing things that I knew were not right. My five year old does the same thing. Right now the issues aren't exactly moral but things like picking her nose and wiping it someplace or touching my computer when she isn't supposed to. When I got to be a teen I remember that I would feel extreme guilt for doing things like sipping alcohol or kissing boys. Somewhere inside my need to stay on the path surpassed my need to do too much experimenting. The things that I did do that were off the path are still embossed in my mind and make me feel bad to this day. I am 37 for petes sake why can't I let go the fact that I drank some tequila at 15?? We all know people that continually partied and had no remorse or realization that what they were doing was wrong. There are plenty of people that I know today that have no regard for right vs. wrong. Some are just totally unaware of the difference and some are well aware but could care less what others think of their actions. My question is what makes some people so aware of their moral compass and others lacking any compass at all? My sister and brother are both walking the really straight line with me so I know that upbringing has a large part in why we are who we are. Like I said though I remember feeling the need to be truthful and follow the rules even as a young child so there must be some other ingredients that make up our morality. Probably DNA and environment. It is both a blessing and a curse to feel so morally noble. It certainly makes it hard to relax and let loose. It makes others think that I am constantly judging them for whatever they choose to do. In reality, in most cases, I am envious of their deviations from the rules.

1 comment:

Beth said...
This comment has been removed by the author.