Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Queen Bee

My good friend Heather called me the other day to tell me she was dropping the kids (her 2nd grader and mine) off at Brownies and had to stop short to keep from hitting another mom who was walking across the parking lot. For each Brownie meeting the girls have to donate an item to a different charity. That night it was the Humane Society. I picked up a couple of pet bowls in the dollar section and Heather got a couple of cheapie dog toys. Anyway the mom Heather almost hit was carrying a 25 pound bag of dog food. She was struggling under the weight of her charitable donation. Don't get me wrong, I am all for these donations. I think it is a great part of Girl Scouts. What I am not all for moms who go out of their way to one up every other parent around. This mom not only donates bigger and better she is also the cookie mom who is in charge of all selling and money related to our troop's cookie sales. She is very precise and nit picky and practically makes you sign away your first born to be able to pick up your cookies (during her two hour designated pick up time only). The cookie Nazi is a great example but unfortunately only one of many moms I know that go way overboard in their quest to be the Queen Bee. The real question is what do these ladies have to gain by their actions. Lots of it is making the rest of the mom population feel inadequate and less worthy of their children's love. Some of it might be because they truly believe they really are in a higher category then most of us normal moms. A little tiny part is probably because they don't know any other way to show their kids they love them then to dedicate themselves to continually being at the top of the ficticious best mom list. I just wonder if they know that while they are way up there on their high horse looking down their nose they are the butt of many a joke down here in average mom land.

3 comments:

For Kicks and Giggles said...

I'm glad I'm down here enjoying life with people like you who make it fun, normal and practical.

Amy - AKA - TigerMommie said...

That made me laugh...Cookie Nazi!...."your're late, no cookies for you"....lol....

Yeah, just seems much better down here on earth as normal mommies....well, whatever normal is....Life is too short and important to waste it trying to be Queen Bee.....

Tonya said...

My girls don't do girl scouts but I know the mom type. I think you are probably right about why they act the way they do. Or maybe that is the way their mom was so it is just something they think should be done who knows. I bet she is struggling with guilt like all the rest of us though.