Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Dressing up for the gym.

I had to laugh today when a mom at Amelia's preschool walked up at pick up time. She was dressed really cute with pointy boots and makeup. I started talking to her and she told me that on Wednesday's she and her friends drop the kids off at the gym babysitter and go to the cafe and have lunch. I think this is such an awesome idea but sort of caught me off guard. I am debating joining the same health club and just never considered doing anything but working out after I drop the kids off in the child care center. For some reason I have serious mom guilt when I do stuff like that yet I totally see the absolute perfection in the plan. I am coming around to realizing or more like admitting that I need time for ME. It has taken me until my youngest is almost five to get to this point. I have spent ten years feeling guilt over every millisecond I spend indulging myself in time without a kid hanging on my leg. I have spent the time debating everything kid related and immersing myself in play dates and potty training. Now I feel ready to admit I need to think about myself. If this is selfish, so be it but I think it is necessary. I also think women who do not admit the need for this time are lying to themselves. I know moms like that end up as a daily volunteer at their child's school, a room mother for every holiday and unable to go on dates with their own husband without a child tagging along. Those are the moms that kids end up resenting for hovering over them 24 hours a day and not letting them make their own choices. I am choosing to let my guilt go and admit my need for time away from my kids.

2 comments:

Heather said...

That's part of the reason I work. OK, the biggest part is financial, but I NEED work to make me happy and you know the saying - if mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy! Take some time for yourself and enjoy every moment of it. You are doing the hardest job there is and deserve some "me" time

Anonymous said...

Great post Beth. I just joined Life Time Fitness and for the first time since becoming a mommy, I can leave my kids for an hour or two and not think about them at all! It has been wonderful. Until today, nobody had cried at all. When I picked Megan up today she was crying a bit but I didn't even ask how long because I'm just not going to worry about it. It took me to number three to get to this place as well :-) -Missy