Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Modern Day Pen Pals

The weekend seemed to last forever yet was not nearly long enough. We had friends come into town from Wisconsin for a few days and I have been anticipating the visit for months. I have to give a back story on how I met my friend Heidi.
6 years ago when I was pregnant with my third child I joined a mommy message board on the computer. I met lots of really interesting people but there was one that was really intriguing. She was due with her second child within a week of when I was due. We ended up exchanging email addresses and became cyber pen pals for the last 5 years. At first we emailed daily and then it became many times a day. Then came instant messaging. We would email during the day when she was at work and IM at night. Eventually we talked for a few minutes once on the phone but to this day we have only spoken a handful of times over the phone. Last year Chris and I took a trip to Wisconsin to visit she and her husband (and to make sure she was not a middle aged fat guy). When I first met her we hugged and immediately I felt like connected. We had a fabulous time and I was so sad to leave. This weekend when we met face to face she brought her kids and got to meet mine. Everyone got along great and I still felt that unmistakable connection. I really feel like she is a part of my family, someone I will always know and always care about. She is one of those people that just gets me and accepts me warts and all. In this world where true friends are few and far between I am so happy I found my Heidi.

4 comments:

Jillian said...

I think that is so cool how you guys met!!!!

mummyof6monsters said...

thats so sweet, but i did giggle over the 'fat middle aged guy' bit:)

Stacy said...

That is so great!! I think we could all use a couple more good friends!

Tonya said...

that is awesome! I think everyone needs a Heidi :)