Friday, July 24, 2009

Hope Trumps Adversity

Lately I have seen and heard of enough hurt and pain and sickness to fill an Olympic sized pool. Every where I turn is a sad story of someone diagnosed with a life threatening illness or someone whose house was destroyed by a fire or a tornado. Tears spring to my eyes when I hear all of these heart felt stories and I have a hard time watching the entire piece yet I feel like I must. By the end I am completely astounded by the amount of hope these people continue to have even when faced with devastation. It is almost as if the adversity pushes some sort of button that ignites a spark that makes them move forward and believe they will regain their life as it was before. What I wonder is what they do with this hope when the crisis is gone. When the sickness is gone or the house is fixed do you continue to live your life with hope and use that hope to be happy? Do you use that hope to inspire yourself to reach for the stars and live your life to its fullest or does it pitter away into oblivion? Sometimes I wonder where I can find that kind of spirit and hope with in myself to face normal every day obstacles.

2 comments:

Mary Ellen said...

I just found your blog via The Silver Whining. I'm surviving on hope right now. Once we live through it, I'll let you know if the hope sticks! By the way, my daughter's name is also Olivia!

JJ said...

I'm a beliver that hope is another word for faith. I also hope that people who call on that hope or faith during tough times, remember to pass onto others when they are not facing a personal trial. With that being sai, I need to check my own self and see how I handle lide when it is good. Am I thankful when all goes well or just existing between trials. I really like your blog.