Monday, July 13, 2009

Caroline

Eleven years ago today I became responsible for another human being. I remember how slow the time moved before she was born and how fast it has moved after. When I think of how much she has changed from the chubby little toddler into the inquisitive young girl it makes my head spin. I am taking the time now to savor the faint line between what was and what will be. The princess stuff has evaporated into Taylor Swift and the Jonas Brothers. The blond pigtails have been replaced by pink highlights and the easy to read books have turned into novels. Eleven years from now she will be 22. I expect there to be as many changes and challenges in the next decade as there were in the first one. I hope I can remain her mentor and guide her through the next chapter in her readiness for adulthood. Hopefully when she is slamming her bedroom door and crying angry tears she will remember that my job in her world is to teach right from wrong not to be her best friend. Most importantly I hope she realizes not only the depth of my love for her but the fact that she will always be a part of me...the best part.

No comments: