Monday, January 25, 2010

Words are Worse then Sticks and Stones.

You know those moments in time that seem to form who you are?? The ones that make you who you are and help explain what you are about. One of those moments in time that you can trace back years or decades that made you face something about yourself that was lurking below the surface. I remember so clearly when that happened to me. It was the summer before high school started. I had all the high hopes and popular dreams that most girls that age have. Going to a new school, starting fresh with no preconceived notions hanging over your head. You could be who and what you wanted. I was taking a walk with a friend and we were fantasizing about how great and exciting the school year would be. We were walking along , our heads in the clouds, when a old rusty clunker bumped by with the horn honking. We both turned and looked and saw a car full of high school boys. They slowed down and circled around and came back toward us. They clearly pointed at my friend and hooted and hollered. They whistled and yelled about her cute butt and her flowing hair. Then they turned to me and started laughing. They yelled and pointed at me too. Instead of saying things that were complimentary they told me I was fat and over sized. That I walked like a horse and my hair was too short. They were out of sight before the sound of their voices echoing left my ears. Their words would never leave my head. Not when I walked into school the first day. Not when I attempted to try out for volleyball. Not when I met new people. Those things they said were just words to them but to me they spurred an insecurity that has been my soul mate all my life. Every time I look in the mirror I think of their words. Every time I get my hair cut I remember what they said. I am sure everyone has heard the childhood rhyme.. " Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me." It is WRONG. It is a lie. Words do hurt. They are so powerful. They can tear people down or they can build them up. They can cure someone or curse them. Choosing words carefully has become an important way of life for me. I watch what I say so I don't inflict pain. I want my kids to think before they speak as well. Words are a tool. They can build things or they can tear things down.

1 comment:

Suzanne said...

Oh how I wish you could see the person I see when I look at you! I know, you just cringed, but it's true! You are a sensitive, caring, funny and incredibly strong woman! Those losers just didn't know what they were looking at! I can't help but wonder what they might look like now?!?!....