Sunday, January 3, 2010

Hibernation

The New Year is supposed to bring about new beginnings and chances for change. In my case it poses new chances for failure and insecurities. The magnitude of the accomplishments of last year bring me to a crashing halt with the realization that living up to that year may not be possible. Nothing is worse then being compared to yourself and losing. If the game ended with last year then I would be ahead but the wide open empty pages of the next 365 days leaves too many chances for the story to change and end in a different way. The unknown is scary. I refuse to pretend that that fear isn't real. I won't make a list of resolutions this year. Instead I will take a step back and burrow in for a while to refuel and energize. I will reevaluate and hopefully emerge with a new found optimism that will propel me to look forward instead of back.

1 comment:

Suzanne said...

You know how I feel about this...but, the reality is, there will never be another year like last year because it was all new. That's what made it so exciting and hard and fun! That doesn't mean that when the snow melts our runs will be mundane or worse, that we wont' be out there...you're a runner, you'll be out there pushing yourself and enjoying every minute (well, mostly)

As for measuring up, each day you choose to continue to try and achieve new heights (whatever they may be) you will ALWAYS measure up! There's much more to it than just running faster today than you did yesterday. (I know, that's coming from the slowest member of our group) We still have a lot to learn about this running thing, and I hope we'll look forward together and learn together!!