Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Go Out on a Limb...After All That is Where the Fruit is

It is almost two weeks into the new year. The new decade. I have been mulling over what kinds of things I want to promise myself. What kinds of things I want to accomplish. For me the biggest issue is being able to try new things and face change with a positive spin. For some reason change has always been synonymous with fear. This is probably why I always like to say "I don't do that" about things that I have never tried. It is easier to pretend that those things are uninteresting to me then to admit my apprehension. Taking risks means not knowing what the outcome will be in advance, leaving everything to chance. What I want to attempt in this new year is to challenge myself to take uncomfortable risks. A risk that is uncomfortable for me will help me to push myself to new lengths and bring about change. Without risk I don't feel like I can learn or grow. I want to move beyond the stagnation of the status quo and find potential in myself. I want to bring something new and exciting to the table. I have a feeling that the gift of risk-taking lies less in what I risk and more in who I become as a result of the process.

No comments: