Saturday, June 27, 2009

Overworked. Underpaid.

While I was scrubbing the toilet the other day I was thinking about all the things things that I do behind the scenes that are unnoticed. Things that as a child I never even knew existed yet now I realize my mom must have done them. All those things that you had no clue even needed to be done until you moved to your first apartment and all of a sudden were responsible for your own filth. I know that I am privileged to be able to stay home with my kids while Chris has to slave away at work every day. That being said I also think that my job is all day every day with no quiet lunch break, rare opportunity for adult interaction, no ability to get promoted and no monetary bonuses. I realize that from 8-5 I am working my "job" just as Chris is working his. But after 5 pm and before 8 am the house work and kid duties should be split 50/50. When both parents work full time outside the home I think that the workload of cleaning and kids definitely needs to be a team effort. Why should mom be the one to get up at night if someone wakes with a bad dream?? Why should mom have to load the dishwasher every evening? The house and the kids were a joint deal to begin with and are surely not the responsibility of one partner over another. Far too often women feel that the money coming into the house isn't really their money since they didn't technically earn it...Well I am here to say that staying at home is surely not a bed of roses and definitely gives both parents equal hold and ownership of the finances.

2 comments:

Tonya said...

I've never had a problem with not bringing in the money and then spending it! Haha

Stacy said...

I totaly agree, most men have a crazy mindset that we sit home and eat bon bon's and so we can get up in the middle of the night every night always! Can you tell i feel strongly? I am not sure how to change this, we talk and he acts like he understands for a while and then back to the same crap!