Thursday, June 18, 2009

Middle of the Road.

Something that I find so important in my life is moderation. I try to remember that the world out there isn't black and white and that there is a lot of grey involved. I want my kids to understand this too and to embrace people that think in a different way then they do. Not to judge and scorn others who don't share in their thoughts and beliefs. This can apply to something as simple as being allowed to eat certain foods or drinks or to something as in depth as politics or religion. There have been plenty of times when I have been on a play date at McDonalds and the other mom looks down her nose at me because I let my child get sprite to drink. She will say something to the effect of OH we don't let our children drink pop it is bad for them. Yes if children only drank soda all day long and never had anything with nutritional value it might be bad but if it is consumed in moderation it is not any worse then juice or whole milk. Of course all of that is my opinion but that is OK because this is my blog :) The same issue comes up with sugary snacks and treats. Every single time the girls have one specific friend over they want to eat our snacks because they aren't allowed to have anything processed at their own house. This is an eating disorder waiting to happen. The child will eventually be independent and have to make their own food choices and in all probability they will chose the forbidden food.
Politics and religion are a little more touchy to deal with. I personally want my kids to make up their own minds about what they believe but I know plenty of parents that have brainwashed their children to believe only the political party or religious group that they are involved in. When your fourth grade child is telling mine that if Obama is elected president then babies will be thrown in fires and the war will move the US then you are not doing your job as a parent. When I was young I remember one person telling me point blank that because I didn't go to church that I was going to go to hell. It didn't matter that I was a good person or that I was a good citizen only that I didn't attend church. Luckily my parents had provided me with a broad span of information and I knew that this was an opinion rather then a proven fact.
I feel like adults are so caught up in what they feel they have to preach to their children that they don't stop to realize that becoming a little more middle of the road might be a great benefit. Who knows your child might even be able to see both sides of the story and use compromise as a way to resolve conflict.

1 comment:

Suzanne said...

Beautifully stated.