Tuesday, June 16, 2009

The Evolution of a Runner

The choice to start running was more of a whim or a joke then an actual choice. I told my friend Heather that we were going to run a marathon this year and it sort of exploded from there. I had never run more then a few steps when I started. I thought I would outline the exciting evolution from out of breath flab to toned and fab.
In the beginning:
Lots of gasping for air and groaning over injuries. Long t shirts to cover my butt in the tight yoga pants. Frustration over hitting a plateau and feeling like we would never make it to the 3 miles. Lots of ice packs and wine to make it through the knee pain.
The next step:
Getting fitted for real running shoes! Signing up for a 1/2 marathon in October. Adding a new running buddy to our group to make us a trio and naming ourselves the Rookie Runners. Starting to time our runs and keep track of heart rate and calories burned (= how much ice cream, wine, chips etc we could eat) Buying some real runner's wear and actually wearing it. Running our first 5K (and without stopping I might add)!!
Getting really serious!:
Buying a hat to run in (and seriously anyone who knows me knows I hate hats so I must be dedicated). We added one more buddy to our group to make us an even and fabulous foursome. Started to follow a week by week training plan for the 1/2 marathon which includes speed training, treadmill work (which I despise) and LONG runs on Saturdays. We completed our second 5K and even took a minute off of our previous time.
The hidden benefit:
The other day I looked down and saw something I had only dreamed of on my leg. A real honest to goodness muscle. I even had to reach down and touch it to make sure it wasn't a mirage. I started to look at my arms and my stomach too and I am sure my jaw was on the floor. While focusing on adding distance and taking time off each run I totally missed the fact that I am now in,by far,the best shape I have ever been in.
I am totally and completely in love with running and totally and completely addicted to it too. I am both proud and surprised by the dedication and perseverance that we have all shown over the last few months and I certainly hope we can continue past our goal of the 1/2 marathon and on to our next hurdle and beyond.

4 comments:

For Kicks and Giggles said...

I love it! And that we are all doing it together, having fun and getting more toned by the day. Now off to figure out how I'm going to run almost 9 miles in few days.....

Suzanne said...

We have come a long way in such a short period of time! I'm proud to be an active member of the Rookie Runner's club! You look fabulous and should be proud of yourself each day :)

Stacy said...

I am very impressed!!

Trail In Progress said...

hey there! I just found your blog-loved this piece about running and wanted to say so:)