Saturday, November 21, 2009

Over the Dysfunctional River and Through the Woods to Grandmother's House We Go!

The holidays are supposed to bring about joy, peace and love but this year everywhere I look I see exposed raw nerves , distaste and selfishness. It is like the season brings about so many unresolved issues and deep dark emotions then they bubble to the top and take control. Everything gets tangled together and it is hard to sort out who and what the holidays are all about. To everyone the right and real reason is different. Sometimes it is about the kids and sometimes it is about the elders. For some it is about faith and beliefs. Whatever the reason for the season it is almost impossible not to lose the magical, fuzzy, kid like feeling on the quest to figure it out. While trying to juggle 4 or 5 different people's happiness in the air your own is sure to get tossed aside. When it is the kids that are the ones in question then I don't mind being tossed away but if it is selfish people who can't see past their own wants and needs I find it time to re-evaluate. Why should my sanity come behind those who chose to consistently disregard everyone else the rest of the year?

5 comments:

Carol said...

It shouldn't

Beth said...

You are so right it shouldn't but unfortunately when emotions, relatives and holidays are involved it often does....

Anonymous said...

Over the years I have found it is best to swallow hard, smile and just get it done. If you love someone enough, you can do whatever to help them through the situation as you are their partner in life. There is one person (a relative) that I do not like. As a matter of fact that person makes my skin crawl. However for Mom I visit with him, smile and engage in small conversation. I do this for two or three days....Then we are outta there for another year.

Suzanne said...

I continue to think about our Saturday morning therapy session (i.e. our 8 mile run!) and it seems I am destined to "do the right thing" again this year...this year I'm blaming it on you when I'm sad on Christmas morning =)

Jillian said...

i used to work retail and the holidays were horrible!! i said merry christmas to someone and they bit my head off!!