Sunday, November 15, 2009

The Lost Art of Love Letters

Let me preface this by saying Chris has been gone a week and a half and I am a little sappy. Plus I am hoping he might read this and get the hint ;)

Sometimes I wish I was back in the time before the internet and phones where available to connect people. I wish I was back when men wrote love letters to their wives. The written word can evoke such emotion by speaking the truth in a way that is hard to verbalize. Even 15 years ago when Chris went on a lengthy trip to Russia I remember waiting for the letters and cherishing every word. They were the key to remembering why we were so connected to each other. When I felt alone or sad all I needed to do was read the words and remember that we aspire to each other. Even now when I come across the tattered letters I sit and read them and tears easily come to my eyes. It makes me remember the sadness I felt when he was away and the exhilaration I felt when he returned. Those letters encase the rawest form of our blossoming romance.
When you write a love letter it is like putting words to your feelings for eternity. There is something so simple and beautiful about sharing emotions in a handwritten form that it makes it intimate and real. To receive something that is so pure and beautiful, when it is really meant, is a treasure to embrace forever.

2 comments:

Jillian said...

I agree, I want a love letter!! And I love getting mail! I mean I love email but there is just something about getting paper mail!! It's exciting!!

For Kicks and Giggles said...

I am still waiting for my letter's....While Pat was in Iraq for 9 months I can honestly say I wrote him every day for 9 months and sent him a care package every Friday. I recieved letter from him and he started it in the airport the day he left. I am glad to know I am not the only sappy girl out there.