Friday, August 21, 2009

Propelling into the Future

This time of year always brings out the sound of the helicopters. By that I certainly don't mean large metal objects with propellers but flesh and blood adults who hover about keeping a finger in all their children do and say. Over the summer the chop chop sound dims although I am sure it is still around I can't hear it because I purposely put myself in summer vacation isolation. When the last few weeks of August rolls around and school starts the army of copters comes out full force. This year it is even more evident because I have my youngest starting kindergarten. For me that is the real first time that you have to start separating yourself from your child. They have been glued to you for 5 years but when that bus stops and they walk on full of fear and anticipation you have to realize that it is time for them to grab hold of their Independence. The minute that bus door whooshes shut the parent is no longer responsible for wiping their nose or making sure they can open their milk at lunch. We can't remind them to say please or thank you or walk behind them picking up after them. This is the time for them to have to start doing for themselves and learning through trial and error. The urge to continue to be the dictator is there but the need to become the silent supporter is some how stronger for me. Although this is so clear with kindergarten it actually applies to every grade. Each year they move a little farther away from the grasp of parents and toward independence. Our job is to teach them this and give them the space they need to find it. I often wonder where the kids who aren't given that chance will end up later in life. When they have their moms and dads still hovering about and fighting their battles for them all the way through school and suddenly they graduate and are stuck out in the cruel cruel world with no practice. I wonder if they will sink or if they will float. I certainly hope when they have kids of their own they don't fly.

No comments: