Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Kicking Adversity in the Stomach.

On a daily basis I take for granted the health and ability of my children. Sometimes it takes seeing someone who faces daily struggles yet remains optimistic for me to appreciate what I have at my fingertips. My five year old can dress herself and fix herself breakfast. She can write her name and dial her phone number. She is beginning to create her own independence in the usual path. Sometimes people have to create their own unique path to independence when they are born with challenges. I would like you to take a moment to look at this site http://www.littlemustardseed.org/Home.html and read the story of Eva. Eva is the relative of a dear friend of mine. She is a little girl almost the same age as Amelia. She was born with Cerebral Palsy and has faced much adversity in her short life. Cerebral Palsy is a lifelong condition that insurance companies and our meager health care system loosely cover and families often have to finance all necessary therapies and devices. It is hard to imagine that a specially equipt wheel chair that will surly make Eva's life more complete cost's as much as the family car!

2 comments:

Tonya said...

I forget all the time what a blessing it is to have healthy able bodied children.

Unknown said...

A note from Eva's dad...thank you for taking the time to learn more about Eva and her brave journey. Eva has certainly made our world much bigger and introduced us to the beauty of all people