Sunday, November 23, 2008

A Thanksgiving thought

Sometimes it is hard to see how much we truly have. We have a warm house and food to eat. We have toys to play with (both kids and adults) and we have clothes to keep us dry and warm in the cold.
I got an email today that really made me think hard and appreciate every single thing that I have. The email was from an acquaintance who does some charity work and she quoted a child saying that they have gotten used to the cold because the one and only blanket that they have in their house keeps his little brother warm at night. This made me start to think about what life would be in a house that had one blanket. What life would be if MY children lived in that house. Which led to the thought that my children need to know there are kids just like them who live in those houses. I collected some blankets and am going to donate them but I need more then that to make the image of the child shivering at night to go away in my head. I just need to figure out what. I do know I am truly thankful this year. It has been a rough year for us in our own way but this definitely put everything into perspective.

2 comments:

Abby said...

That was an insightful blog snapper. I heard something on the radio the other day that is along the same lines... A woman said she volunteers in a food pantry sorting donated goods and that about half of what they get is expired. What they really need is money.
It is important for me to think about this and "reign myself in" when I worry about not giving (or getting) the perfect gift. It really is about so much more than the decorations, trees and gifts.
I also agree that we need to make our kids aware of the situation so many are in. I am sure that Owen has no idea that there are people in this country who have so little while we have so much. What is our Plan of Action? How are we going to remedy this situation?

Beth said...

I totally agree we have to figure out our POA. We are smart educated Women..we can make a difference and help our children to make one too!!