Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Trending on Caring

Lately I have noticed an odd trend in many of the blogs I read religiously. Apparently the new thing to do is to simplify your life by giving away half your belongings, move your family into a smaller house and then stand up on a high horse and talk about all the good things you are teaching your children by doing this. I honestly don't get it. I am a compassionate person who does my part in this world to make a difference. I hope that I am showing my children how to be good, caring people who someday will make a difference too. BUT I am not a hypocrite. I want to be allowed to enjoy things in life without feeling like it makes me less of a person. Sometimes I drive through Starbucks and buy myself a 5$ coffee. Sometimes I let my kids pick a toy out at the store and sometimes I even choose the name brand over the store brand. I don't understand how my life following a normal ordinary path of enjoyment and compassion quietly makes my mark on the earth any less important or true then those that talk about it all the time. The purest form of giving is silent. Think about all the people that spend their whole lives giving of themselves and their time and talents but it is never known until their funeral. It is who they are not what they want others to see. What is behind the scenes is so much more important then the performance on stage. The biggest imprint on society is made by people who aren't using their compassion as a commercial to endorse their righteousness.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

well said!