Monday, April 19, 2010

My Lovey

All three of my girls had a special security lovey when they were small. My oldest sucked her thumb. She did it when she was sad or tired or happy. The first time we locked eyes after she was born she was sucking her thumb. It was so cute to watch her chubby baby fingers in her mouth. My middle girl had a crocheted blanket. It was an old blanket that was my husbands when he was a baby. Somehow it ended up in her nursery and it was the only thing that would quiet her. She would take the blanket and stick it between her lips and suck on it. It was really gross but also rather endearing all at the same time. My youngest had a small square fleece blanket that had different silky ribbons sewn around the entire edge. She carried "taggie bird" every where and would stroke the ribbons along the ridge of her nose. When you are so little in such a huge scary world you need something to grab onto that makes you feel safe and enveloped in warmth and security. Something that helps you realize that there is a constant in your life that you can forever count on to make you feel loved and happy. Actually we could all use something to make us feel that way in this world. Twenty-two years ago today I found that something. It was the day that Chris and I went on our first official date. We were both sixteen and less then experienced with all the scary details of love and life. Yet from that moment on we both grabbed on to the security and support we saw in each other. Year after year through babies and jobs and houses we both manage to find solace in the warmth and security we have been able to offer each other. His presence offers me the familiarity and comfort to be who I am. I never have to look back to see if he is behind me or forward to see if he is ahead. All I have to do is look next too me and he is there, hand out, ready to walk together.

No comments: