Thursday, April 15, 2010

STOP this Run...I Want to Walk!

Sometimes realizations come all at once but often they come through a slow evolution of events and feelings. Things that are set up as goals get in the way of the path it takes to get there. The hardest part for me to embrace is that the trip is sometimes more important then the actual destination. I can't begin to put into words what the last year of running has meant to me. I have accomplished every goal I have flung out there for myself and am proud of that. The thing that makes me the most tingly inside though is what I have gained along with my goals or maybe even in spite of my goals.
I have found solace in the early morning with the quiet darkness and cool breezes. I have gained a knowledge of the fact that I do need time to do something for me. Something that makes me a happier, better mom and wife.
Most importantly, I have formed a sisterhood with woman that I identify with and respect. Our lives are becoming tightly intertwined and it is forming a web of support through rough roads and valleys but also a cheering section for celebrations and milestones. We talk about not only our hopes and dreams but our fears and disappointments. Judgement loses out to the ability to step into each others jogging shoes. If one of us falls flat on our face we all stop and help them up and dust them off and we begin again, together. I like to call it the Sisterhood of it could have been me. We so closely parallel each other that it is easy to see ourselves facing the same challenges.
Somewhere along the line the simple goal of running a half marathon has faded into the woodwork and the important stuff has crossed the finish line. I love running but I love what it has given me more. I can clearly see what I have gained in the journey instead of focusing on how far I still have left to travel. Eventually wrinkles will overtake us, our joints will ache and our hair will turn white but even then I will still find myself feeling the support and respect. Maybe we won't be running but walking and talking and laughing...always laughing.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

another nice one Beth!

Koretta Tennant said...

you are amazing. I admire your ability with words!

Suzanne said...

Oh, Beth...I am so grateful to have you in my life! The strength we have as a group far outweighs what we could accomplish individually. Every hard run we've struggled through has been worth it. Running has shown me that I am capable of just about anything I set my mind to. I, too look forward to the day when we decide to slow down to walk and talk. In the meantime, we've got some running & huffing & puffing to do!