Monday, December 28, 2009

This Old House

My parents have had my childhood home up for sale for months. There have not been any serious offers in all that time. I had myself convinced that they would decide to take it off the market and live there forever. Up until now. They have a decent offer and things could possible move at warp speed. Logically I know it is a house, made of material not flesh and blood. Somewhere between the plaster and wood this place became more to me then just shelter. It stopped being inanimate and became a part of the family. All the things that happened there and the memories that were created brought it to life. I know it seems silly to become emotionally involved with a house but sometimes relationships take on a life of their own. That old house saw me through loose teeth and skinned knees. It was there for birthday parties and sleepovers. In more recent years it has been the central gathering place for holidays with my own children and their cousins. I know my dad is tired of dealing with the upkeep that comes with a 100 year old house and my mom is tired of cleaning 3 full bathrooms when it is only the two of them. I know that logically a smaller home would be more practical for them. Logic sometimes can't supersede feelings of the heart though. I can't help but be sad knowing that goodbye is coming. Luckily when I close my eyes and think about my childhood I can still recall all the special times that played out between those four walls that were our home sweet home for so many years. I hope whoever it is that is going to acquire the house will love it like we have. I hope they can make memories of their own and find a special place in their heart for that house on Garden Road.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

little house on garden road. so sweet. sad too. where do your parents want to move to?

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean. Mom's house goes back on the market after the first of the year. **sob**

ishatrisha said...

I just sold my house that I've lived in for only 5 years and still it was hard packing everything up and moving away! Then I thought about the lady I bought it from who had lived there since she married 50 years ago! How her heart must have broke to have to leave. It is just a house, but the memories are just so tangible there! At least your parents are doing this because they want to, and not because they have to.

Amy - AKA - TigerMommie said...

I can totally understand.......I can't imagine what it would be like to have my childhood home sold to someone........(and I'm sitting in my old bedroom right now too....) But, especially since this house was built by my great grandfather...........
My parents will never move or sell, so it's just a matter of holding on to it (if I can) after they are gone....