Thursday, September 17, 2009

Remembering

I choose today to remember that life can change in a split second. Today six years ago it almost did. My nephew was born after a fairly normal pregnancy into a traumatic first few days of life. While our focus was on him my sister's condition also became extremely dire. We almost lost both of them. Our lives almost changed then for the worse. Instead things stopped free falling into disaster and improved and life went on as it was intended. That day is left behind as nothing more then a small blip on our lives, a story for him to tell his own children. Owen is now a happy, healthy energetic boy who loves Lego and Star Wars. He has no memory of that day and what could have been. How narrowly he escaped a whole different kind of existence on this earth. I choose to take this day every year to remember to live each day to its fullest and to cherish each memory. To not put off what I can do today until tomorrow because tomorrow might never come. To tell those I love how I feel so they hear the words. I love you Abby and Owen. Have a happy birthday!


September 2003
September 2009

2 comments:

Suzanne said...

WOW, I don't think you can know how fully this post impacts me! Of course you know bits about my Austin, but my real journey with appreciating life each and every day began when Peyton was born at just 32 weeks and had to stay in the NICU for a month...we were first time parents and it was extremely scary and overwhelming. Of course you know now, that he's a healthy 10 1/2 year old 5th grader, but I will never forget how he entered this world and how blessed I am to be his mother...thank you for this post!

Jillian said...

What an amazing and great story!! What a sweet boy!!