Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Pass the Mouthwash

I have a bad taste in my mouth. It doesn't have to do with the garlic I ate last night. It's not about me forgetting to brush my teeth. Somewhere between anger and fear I lost sight of how beneficial it is for me to be able to forgive. Initially you think you are doing that for the other person but really it's freeing to be able to forgive. Grudges suck the life out of you. They weigh you down and cloud your vision. They leave you spiritless and with lots of sharp edges. With a very sour taste in your mouth.

Finding it in yourself to let things go is the only true way to move on. Forgiveness is free and found in aisle 3 of your heart. Sandwiched between grace and kindness. These days not much is free and readily available. Not many things can remove the bitterness and replace it with peace.

People are not always who we wish they were. As much as we want to be able to change them it just doesn't work that way. Playing that kind of waiting game may last a lifetime.

Focus on my actions. That's what I have decided. I can control me and my ability to forgive. I can be kind and show compassion. By forgiving others it makes it easier to forgive ourselves. Self forgiveness is the ultimate in becoming your most authentic self. The real you. Authentic, compassionate and forgiving are three words I hope my kids use to describe me someday.

No comments: