Thursday, June 17, 2010

Why Can't Liar's Pants Really Catch on Fire?

Sometimes it seems like I am wasting my time. I am spending day after day focusing on the truth and respect and rules and laws. Teaching my children right from wrong by giving them a good example. But every way you turn someone is getting ahead in life by lying or cheating. They do what they have too to do to put themselves ahead. They seem to be able to somehow rationalize their life choices and be able to love themselves despite how they live. The outrageous part is that it tempts me to just throw in the towel and join the forces. Maybe I should stop trying to do what I know is right and begin to do what is right now. Stop worrying about how my actions will affect other people. Think about what makes me happiest no matter who gets stepped on. It isn't like there is someone sitting there in judgement with a tally board keeping track of everything. In fact most of the questionable things people do to get ahead go unnoticed by most. The real problem in this whole plan is that I care too much. I can't throw all those things I know to be right out the window. I don't want my kids to be those people who are out for their own happiness above all else. I need them to have empathy and truth in their lives. Even if it is just for themselves in the end. The hardest part to stomach is that as much as no one notices the lies people tell to get ahead even more people don't see the people who live their life with truth, empathy and respect.

No comments: