Thursday, January 13, 2011

The Flutophone Chronicles

My 4th grader came home last week with a snazzy blue case and a big smile. When she carefully unzipped it and tenderly removed her shiny new flutophone (or recorder as they call them now) I cringed. Some memories from when I was her age involving a not so favorable incident with a flutophone swept across my mind. She was so excited that I pushed the memory away and watched her attach the instrument to her neck strap and begin to screech out a few notes. After a few minutes she stopped and took her special cleaning cloth out and wiped it down and placed it back in her case just as precisely as she had taken it out. Her happiness lasted about a week. Last weekend she started to resent the plastic screamer. She couldn't quite get the notes right and told me that the teacher pointed her out and only her and told her she was holding it wrong. She didn't come over and show her how to hold it. She didn't tell her anything good she was doing. She just sternly chastised her in front of the whole class. That vision made my old instrument incident come flooding back like an out of control tsunami.

When I was in third grade I had a teacher who was known as the mean one. She yelled. Her voice was gruff. She had no sympathy for shyness or quietness. She disliked it as a matter of fact. I cried more then once in her class and she would tell me to suck it up, act my age, stop being a baby. That only made me cry harder. By spring I was holding it together more and had made a few friends in the class. We had just started a new unit in music and everyone was all a twitter. It was the flutophone unit! It was the first day and we were all excited to get our hands on them. It was loud and chaotic. Lots of squeaking and screeching. At that time there was not a separate music teacher, the classroom teacher was the one to teach the notes and blowing technique. When she had passed out one to each student she abruptly told everyone to shut up and sit down. Everyone did but there were a few squeaks here and there that interrupted her as she began the lesson. Again she told everyone to be quiet and threatened that the next sound she heard would result in a major punishment. There was absolute and complete quiet. Not one sound. No one wanted to endure one of her punishments. As she started to talk my friend, who was sitting next to me, made a funny face at me and I tried to contain a giggle. All would have been ok IF I hadn't had the flutophone up next to my mouth. You see I stopped the sound of the giggle but the air escaped out of my mouth and traveled through the mouth piece and created a loud squeak. Everyone looked at me, jaws to the ground. I could feel the red hot traveling across my face and the tears well up in my eyes. The teacher immediately walked over to me and grabbed the instrument out of my hands she told me to get up and that I could no longer be a part of the learning today. She led me out into the hall and made me turn toward the wall and put my nose up to it. She said I was a disappointment and turned around walked into the class room and slammed the door. I stood there for what seems like hours, crying quietly and feeling like a loser as other classes passed by me staring and whispering. I honestly don't know how long I was out there and I don't remember what happened afterwards. I do know that teacher should not have been there teaching young kids. After that day I would never ever look at another instrument. It ruined it for me.

When I started to tell my mom the other day about the incident she told me I had never told her before. In all honesty I think it went into the box in my brain full of those things that you just never want to have a memory of...things you would rather forget. My parents had something about that teacher that they put in that box in their heads years ago too. At a parent teacher conference that pivotal year that teacher told my mom and dad that I would certainly never go to college. She told them I would slide by and get through but had no potential for higher education. They told me that years later at my college graduation where I graduated magna cum laude with a degree in education.

Teacher do shape us in our lives. The academics are very important but so is the positive feedback and the ability to see potential even when it might seem there isn't any.

2 comments:

Jenny said...

The flutophone. It was red and white, wasn't it? It makes me sick to my stomach to feel what she put you through. She was the true meaning of the word bully. WHY did NOONE stand up to her? I wonder what her fate was? Was she left to scar hundreds of kids along the way or did someone finally have enough strikes against her to get her thrown out of the game? I wonder what your parents said to her when she told them that?

Matteo said...

I picked my nose in that 3rd grade class and was caught one day mid-nose-dig, at which point the teacher pointed out what a disgusting kid I was for sitting in class digging up my nose, making sure everyone in the class turned to look at where I sat, in the back, finger up my nose. Something must be wrong with me, because I didn't care when I should have felt embarressed, I didn't think anything about the teacher other than she didn't have anything better to do than watch kids pick their nose, and I didn't stop picking my nose, either. I don't think my folks were ever told I wouldn't make it in college, but it is my experience that colleges are filled with a great many more nose-pickers than rogue flutophone players who toot when everyone else is silent.

I never mastered the flutophone either, unless you consider breaking it mastery. I also never mastered any other instrument (including violin, which I also broke) despite being able to read music. Maybe that's why I played the cymbals. And maybe my musical ineptitude is a result of poor early flutophone training.

At least, today, I have the joy of watching two boys who are somehow both direct descendants of me and incredibly musically talented...and a third boy who may be left breaking flutophones with his old dad.