Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Me, Myself, and I


I have been thinking a lot about trust lately. How we absently put our trust into people even without them earning it. Those in authority positions just get the trust. Teachers and doctors and lawyers. We want them to have the answers and be in charge. We go to them for what we don't know and want them to spit out a solution. We have faith that they know. We are taught to trust them. We want to trust them. For all my life I have. I am beginning to feel like I should question that authority. I want be able to expose my vulnerabilities with the unspoken security that they won't be taken advantage of. At this point it seems like instead of feeling trust and reliance I am feeling a sense of being blindly led. Almost like the pied piper. The fog is starting to clear though. I can disagree. I can find my own answers. Questioning my trust in authority is actually about being able to find trust in myself. I like that. I need that. Before I can find trust in other people I have to find self confidence in myself.

1 comment:

bdogmama said...

I was just thinking about this. It's a little scary. Especially when I think how much blind trust I have in my son's daycare...

I've exchanged "trust" in doctors for self-empowerment :), and learned that sometimes trust looks alot like faith, in disguise.

In the end I decided I *really* need to thank my son's teachers...