Thursday, February 18, 2010

All You Need is Love...Love is All You Need

Over Valentines Day I starting thinking about a February 14 years ago when I got engaged. Then I began to think about how young I was when I got married and how sometimes I feel like I want a do over. I was so young when I got married that I really didn't think about any of the specifics of the actual wedding but instead I just wanted to be together and saw that as the most permanent way. At 22 I was hardly old enough to sip champagne or wear high heels let alone make choices that were supposed to create life long memories. Now 15 years wiser I can see some things that really could use a major do over.
-First of all I wish I would have hired a real photographer. I would not have let a teddy bear backpack carrying, propeller hat wearing Aunt of the groom convince us she was a talented picture taker. I would not have accepted her offer to take the pictures for free. Now I have no pictures. Only snapshots from the guests. Maybe I should dig out my wedding dress and get my photographer friend, Liz, to take some pictures. I might still be able to fit in it (with the help of my Spanx) and I know my hair is way better now. Too bad the groom doesn't have any hair at all these days.
-The bridesmaid dresses. We ordered them from a Chadwick's catalog. There was only one color choice so that became the wedding "color" whether I liked it or not. There were also a floral pattern and sort of flowy which didn't exactly work with all the heights of my maids.
-The outside location seemed perfectly picturesque at the time. I hate that they tore down the flower covered gazebo and replaced it with a Kentucky fried Taco Bell. Every time I order my bean burrito and my extra crunchy bucket I think about my vows for lifelong love.
-I would love to be able to have some of the people I have met since my wedding share that day with me. I have met some incredible people that are extremely special to me that I would like to be in those pictures...err ummm wait I don't have those...I would love them to be in the memories.
-My honeymoon. Myrtle Beach. A 12 hour drive to a cheap hotel with paper thin sheets and a broken AC. Big trucks cruising the strip booming with loud music at all hours. Gourmet Godfather's Pizza and sweet iced tea.
In the end I know all these things are material. The most important thing is that I love the person I married and that we have built a life together. Hind sight is 20/20 and once all those incidental memories melt away I remember the really important things that happened that day. I remember driving to the wedding with my dad alone and what we talked about. I remember feeling like a princess as my sister in law applied my makeup and my bridesmaids helped me get into my dress. I remember the moment I walked down the aisle and how I felt like I was sitting above watching the whole thing happen. I remember locking eyes with Chris and I remember realizing that we would be together forever.

3 comments:

Jillian said...

I think that the moment your eyes met was more important than pictures and bridesmaid dresses!! But I can still understand where you are coming from!!

Beth said...

Jilian..that was exactly my point. Athough I remember those details like the dresses they don't matter like the really important things :)

Missy said...

I know exactly what you mean. Tone and I got married right out of college too. My sister, who's 32, just got engaged, and I'm loving helping her plan this wedding. I can live vicariously through her :-)