Thursday, December 22, 2011

If the Fates Allow

I heard a Christmas song with the line "If the fates allow" sandwiched somewhere in the middle of a bunch of other jolly words. It was a song I have heard a thousand times over many years..a classic. Yet this is the first time I have ever heard that line. I don't know if in past years I was too busy worrying about all the holiday stress or if I just wasn't listening. But this year I heard it and I can't stop hearing it. It seems profound and rather thought provoking.

As much as I want to appear level headed and well anchored to the daily grind I can't deny that I do believe in fate. The fact that I know in my heart of hearts there is a pull from somewhere that is providing the road map for our lives. That somehow we are all destined to be who we end up being. The choices we make could make the journey shorter or longer or maybe less painful but all in all we we will end up where we are supposed to be. The really hard part is that there
is no fortune teller or instruction book that tells us what is coming next. How tomorrow will turn out. We have to live it to know it. Things that we hope are meant to be may end up as temporary.

I think when I replay that song over and over again in my head I am beginning to realize what it means. Take the chance now to be with those you love. Don't fret about who is going to sit next to Aunt Jane or if everyone will enjoy your new recipe. Order a pizza and let people chose their own seat. Don't obsess about calories or the crumbs on your floor. Lick the frosting off your fingers and brush the crumbs under the rug. Relish in today and this holiday with those important to you IF the fates allow....

** My 13 year old relishing spending quality time out to lunch with her family**

1 comment:

Stacy said...

Thanks Beth!! I needed this reminder:)