Friday, April 15, 2011

Shattered

I took an axe and split my soapbox in two. I have decided that standing up there ranting on about what I think is silly. First of all I am not an expert on anything. Second I think a lot of what I say can certainly be thrown back at me as being hypocritical. I try to practice what I preach I really do but I am human and that often means reactions change with time and experience. I may have said I would never let my kids have a cell phone before high school and that I would never be that mom that said "because I say so." Guess What? My 12 year old has a cell phone. I say "because I say so" all the time. The plan we have in our head doesn't always stay true to itself. Which is fine if I am not up spouting off to others about my convictions. I think putting too many stipulations on ourselves generally causes us to become liars. I hear so many moms out there saying "I don't let my kids watch T "or "we don't eat sugar" or " I am homeschooling because it is the best education my kids can get". These are such broad statements that often end up making them have to recant.

Getting up on that box and talking about how you want to live your own life is only part of the issue. The other part is that by doing that it ends up pointing out other people's faults or weaknesses immediately and as obtrusively as a well manicured finger shoved in your face. It makes them want to find the cracks in your theory. You start to be put under the microscope and called on your own words. That special treat of sugary ice cream just this once becomes a thorn in the word never. Never is too big a word and a very very long time. When those stones hit your own house it will shatter and the glass is pretty sharp. I certainly would not want to have to backpedal across it...

No comments: